The Caldecott Medal was named in honor of 19th century English illustrator Randolph Caldecott. It is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Locomotive / illustrated by Brian Floca – Medal Winner
- Journey / written and illustrated by Aaron Becker – Honor Book
- Flora and the Flamingo written and illustrated by Molly Idle – Honor Book
- Mr. Wuffles! / written and illustrated by David Wiesner – Honor Book
The Newbery Medal was named for 18th century British bookseller John Newbery. It is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- Flora & Ulysses: the Illuminated Adventures / written by Kate DiCamillo – Medal Winner
- Doll Bones / written by Holly Black – Honor Book
- The Year of Billy Miller / written by Kevin Henkes – Honor Book
- One Came Home / written by Amy Timberlake – Honor Book
- Paperboy / written by Vince Vawter – Honor Book
These books are on order for the Children’s Collection at the BSC Library.