The John Newbery Medal for the most outstanding contribution to children’s literature was awarded to:
Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña. The book is illustrated by Christian Robinson and published by G. P. Putnam’s Sons, an imprint of Penguin Group (USA) LLC.
Three Newbery Honor Books were also named:
- The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- Roller Girl written and illustrated by Victoria Jamieson
- Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan
The Randolph Caldecott Medal for the most distinguished American picture book for children was awarded to:
Finding Winnie: the True Story of the World’s Most Famous Bear, illustrated by Sophie Blackall and written by Lindsay Mattick, and published by Little, Brown and Company, a division of Hachette Book Group, Inc.
Four Caldecott Honor Books were also named:
- Trombone Shorty, illustrated by Bryan Collier and written by Troy Andrews
- Waiting, illustrated and written by Kevin Henkes
- Voice of Freedom: Fannie Lou Hamer, Spirit of the Civil Rights Movement, illustrated by Ekua Holmes and written by Carole Boston Weatherford
- Last Stop on Market Street, illustrated by Christian Robinson and written by Matt de le Peña
The BSC Library will soon have copies of all of these books in the Children’s Collection.