In light of COVID-19 and the educational challenges it presents, William S. Hein & Co., Inc. is providing free access to HeinOnline Academic through December 15, 2020.
- This resource is now available to BSC students, faculty, and staff via the Library’s A-Z Databases page.
- The link to HeinOnline Academic is in the New / Trial Databases section.
About HeinOnline Academic
- Includes more than 100 million pages of multidisciplinary content in more than 100 subject areas, including history, political science, criminal justice, religious studies, international relations, women’s studies, pre-law, and many more.
- Provides access to 300+ years of information on political development and the complete history of the creation of government and legal systems around the world.
- Features nearly 2,800 periodicals relating to a variety of subject areas, with all coverage dating from inception to the most currently published issues in most cases.
I can’t say enough good things about Films on Demand (FOD), our streaming video database. If you’re not already using it, start today.
Film is a wonderful medium for teaching and learning. FOD includes films on most anything you can think of (currently, 52,308 titles with new content added frequently) from a wide range of producers. To see the subject areas and the number of films available in each area, click here. To zero in on the producers (A&E, BBC, History Education, Frontline, HBO, and Ted, to name only a few), click here.
Watch the films, or segments of films (with or without the transcripts); embed them in presentations; set up your own folder; create playlists; and enjoy!
Find the link to Films on Demand on our databases page. [Scroll down to Video & Film or choose from the A to Z list.]
FOD is available 24/7 to current BSC students, faculty, and staff. Enjoy!
A to Z World Business
Where Do You Want to Go?
“Conducting business across borders is both an opportunity and a challenge. Knowing how business is conducted in different countries is critical to success.”
A to Z World BusinessTM features country business guides and trade tools to help you succeed in global markets. From business formation to marketing, import/export, business culture, compliance, security, taxation, business travel, and hundreds of other topics, find the information you need to work globally.
Find A to Z World Business listed here.
Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center is your first stop for career exploration, job skills, and more. Find it listed here.
Highlights & Features
- Industries and Careers – Covers 140 industry and career fields and thousands of professions
- Plan Your Education – Find schools that are the best fit for what you want to do
- Launch Your Career – Get advice on writing resumes and cover letters, interviewing, applying for apprenticeships and internships, professional etiquette, and other workplace skills
- Career Interest Assessment
- Links to Outside Jobs and Internships – Searchable, live job and internship postings
- My Life Interviews – Get firsthand perspectives from professionals in the field
- and More!
Find A Topic offers access to hundreds of topics organized by category through a unique search strategy. The predefined searches link to ACCESS WORLD NEWS (find it on our databases page) and can be modified before or after the search. Results are fast and relevant in whatever category you choose. Check it out!
Question for August 30, 2017
What actor, famous for playing the role of Aragorn in the film versions of J.R.R. Tolkien‘s The Lord of the Rings , is also a poet?
Find the answer via the Library’s Columbia Granger’s World of Poetry database. Click here to access the Library’s databases page – Choose Literature & Poetry – Choose Columbia Granger’s
Fake news has become a serious problem. The creators of fake news are good at what they do and readers aren’t so good at telling what’s fake from what’s real.
A recent study from Stanford University (Evaluating Information: the Cornerstone of Civic Online Reasoning) shows that “Overall, young people’s ability to reason about the information on the Internet can be summed up in one word: bleak.” (p. 4). This was true of students at each level — middle school, high school, and college.
How can you avoid fake news? One way is by using BSC Library resources, including our databases, for your research. We provide access to thousands upon thousands of credible newspaper, magazine, and journal articles.
Check it out! The BSC Library has added new online resources, which are available to current students, faculty, and staff 24/7. You can find the links on our Databases page.
Flipster™ — a New Way to Access Digital Magazines
Flipster offers the latest issues of high quality digital versions of popular magazines. Our subscription currently includes 93 titles. Flipster gives you an easy, browseable reading experience:
- Browse magazines by category or search for specific titles
- Find the most recent issues in the online newsstand carousel or check the carousel of all issues for quick access to older issues
- Click on table of contents links to go directly to articles; hotlinks within magazines are also hyperlinked and open in separate tabs when clicked
- Zoom in and out for better readability
- Read Flipster magazines on your PC or download them for offline reading anytime, anywhere
Counterparts to the multi-volume print sets we once had, these sources have the advantages and enhancements that go with being online, e.g., multimedia content and website links, topic finder, term frequency graphs, dynamic search capability, mobile compatibility, and 24/7 access.
Artemis Literary Sources
- An integrated research experience, Artemis Literary Sources brings together Gale’s premier literary databases in a new digital environment that allows users to search across these resources to discover and analyze content in entirely new ways.
Literature Criticism Online
- Takes literature, history and culture to the next level with the largest, most extensive compilation of literary commentary available. Imagine centuries of analysis – the scholarly and popular commentary from broadsheets, pamphlets, encyclopedias, books and periodicals – delivered in an easy-to-use, 24/7 online format that matches the exact look and feel of the print originals. The net result is tens of thousands of hard-to-find essays at your fingertips. It’s all designed to raise the level of research while providing around-the-clock remote access.
Literature Resource Center
- Up-to-date biographical information, overviews, full-text literary criticism and reviews on more than 130,000 writers in all disciplines, from all time periods and from around the world.
Twayne’s Author Series
- In-depth critical introductions to the lives and works of major writers of the world within the context of the time periods in which they lived. It provides insightful and original commentary on the history and influence of literary movements.
Visit the BSC Library website or contact library staff for more information.
The EZProxy update went smoothly and the Library’s databases are available again.
If you encounter any issues/problems, please contact us.