When we realize our dream … a new BSC Library and Learning Commons
in a new Communications and Creative Arts Center,
will it be number 8 on the list?
*Note: I had the good fortune of visiting one of the coolest libraries … the Bibliotheca Alexandrina in Alexandria, Egypt. Check out these images from the Norwegian architectural design firm that created the building. Spectacular! — Marlene Anderson, Director of Library Services
Reading … it’s a good thing!
“According to Younger Americans’ Reading and Library Habits, from the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project, 83 percent of Americans aged 16-29 read a book in the past year, compared to 78 percent of all Americans over 16. High school and college age respondents were most likely to have done so—college aged adults have the highest overall reading rate of any age group—and adults aged 65 and older, least. Though of course much of younger adults’ reading is for school or work, about three-quarters say they read for pleasure or to keep up with current events.” Read more …
Is there a book inside you?
November 1st-30th …. Thirty days and nights of literary abandon!
Let your creative juices flow
Learn how to use Pinterest to market your business, product, or service
Check it out from our Beyond Library Walls Digital Collection
North Dakota’s own Louise Erdrich is a finalist for a 2012 National Book Award in the Fiction category!
The awards will be presented on November 14 in New York City. Finalists include:
- Anne Applebaum, Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1945-1956
- Katherine Boo, Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity
- Robert A. Caro, The Passage of Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson, Volume 4
- Domingo Martinez, The Boy Kings of Texas
- Anthony Shadid, House of Stone: A Memoir of Home, Family, and a Lost Middle East
- David Ferry, Bewilderment: New Poems and Translations
- Cynthia Huntington, Heavenly Bodies
- Tim Seibles, Fast Animal
- Alan Shapiro, Night of the Republic
- Susan Wheeler, Meme
Young People’s Literature
- William Alexander, Goblin Secrets
- Carrie Arcos, Out of Reach
- Patricia McCormick, Never Fall Down
- Eliot Schrefer, Endangered
- Steve Sheinkin, Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon
If you use a NOOK HD, NOOK HD+, NOOK Tablet™ or NOOK Color™ for your reading habit, borrowing eBooks and audiobooks from the library’s Beyond Library Walls Digital Collection is now easier than ever!
Barnes & Noble has added an OverDrive Media Console app.
Read on for the details ….