Wrap up National Poetry Month in April by participating in BSC’s Poetry Contest!
- When: Tuesday, April 30, 7 p.m.
- Where: Basin Auditorium, National Energy Center of Excellence
- How: Register at the door; open to anyone who wishes to participate in the contest or watch
- Cost: Free!
- More than $500 worth of prizes!
- Poem must be original
- Poem must be read out loud
- Max length: 3 minutes
Need more info? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover of Poesia, magazine edited by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti (1876-1944), No. 1-2, February-March 1909
In the Library by Charles Simic
There’s a book called
A Dictionary of Angels.
No one had opened it in fifty years,
I know, because when I did,
The covers creaked, the pages
Crumbled. There I discovered
The angels were once as plentiful
As species of flies.
The sky at dusk
Used to be thick with them.
You had to wave both arms
Just to keep them away.
Now the sun is shining
Through the tall windows.
The library is a quiet place.
Angels and gods huddled
In dark unopened books.
The great secret lies
On some shelf Miss Jones
Passes every day on her rounds.
She’s very tall, so she keeps
Her head tipped as if listening.
The books are whispering.
I hear nothing, but she does.
Source: Transactions with Beauty – “5 Poems about Libraries”
April is National Poetry Month!
Become well-versed in all things verse by clicking here and by visiting our Columbia Granger’s World of Poetry database (choose it from the A to Z list).
In honor of National Poetry Month …
“Stage a Poetry Slam is a comprehensive guide for both budding and seasoned Slammasters — people in charge of organizing and promoting poetry slams and spoken word events.”
“Inaugurated by the Academy of American Poets in 1996, National Poetry Month is now held every April when schools, publishers, libraries, booksellers, and poets throughout the United States band together to celebrate poetry and its vital place in American culture.”
Here are 30 ways to celebrate!
Celebrate! April is National Poetry Month and the Theodore Roosevelt Roughrider Award will be given to North Dakota author Louise Erdrich today in Wahpeton.
Includes selected poems from Erdrich’s two previous books of poetry, Jacklight and Baptism of Desire, and nineteen new poems.
National Poetry Month is a month-long, national celebration of poetry established by the Academy of American Poets to:
- bring attention to the art of poetry, to living poets, to our complex poetic heritage, and to poetry books and journals of wide aesthetic range and concern
- increase the visibility and availability of poetry in popular culture
- acknowledge and celebrate poetry’s ability to sustain itself in the many places where it is practiced and appreciated
Check out 30 ways to celebrate!
The BSC Library has many books and journals devoted to poetry and poets.
Discover them via the ODIN library catalog.